Monday, April 23, 2012

For God's sake Jim, I'm an Agent not a Plumber!

Miraculously the deal hasn't fallen through. Things are looking up, but closing is not until May, so plenty of time to worry some more.

The reason I started a business in real estate in the first place was -- not so much to start yet another career -- but to bring in extra money. It's a long story how real estate came up as a viable way to earn extra bucks, but let's just say that the person who got me into this assured me it was something I could do part time.

I don't think so.

Work part time and you have no business at all but LOTS of expenses. Maybe I should have done more research before jumping into the deep end. Too late now.

So here I am with a lot of training and some experience. I don't want to walk away from it just because my life has taken a turn I wasn't at all expecting. I made an impulsive decision to get into real estate, but don't want to make the same mistake getting out. (Or was it a mistake? Hmmmm. Telling. This blog is working already!!)

My partner earns enough to support the household, with some put aside for retirement and savings, but not a whole lot extra. I've been doing some not too lucrative writing, home-making, volunteering, paid consulting here and there. We've been ok with the frugal lifestyle, but we have some big expenses and a few wants and I'd like to sock away more for retirement.

The first thing I plan to do with this season of my life is lay groundwork, create habits that will support a more deliberate, informed decision-making process about what's next, and then a COMMITMENT to that thing. More on creating habits in future posts.

Today I should feel relieved and happy about that durn contract, but I feel kind of down. Maybe it's that I know it can still fall through, or maybe it's a completely unrelated phone call on a different house purchased by an out-of-town client that involves me going and checking on a water line or something of which I have no clue. That's why agents recommend their clients use inspectors and contractors. I'm not a plumber, people!!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community and best wishes on your new real estate venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm feeling my way through. I confess I'm getting a little bogged down with the mechanics of blogger, but I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete